[SunRescue] Stock drives in the SS20?

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Tue Dec 14 02:17:53 CST 1999

I just got my PeeCee running with two SCSI drives that I pulled from my
SS20.  I notice that my SCSI controller (and linux) tell me that these are
Seagate/SUN drives.  I'm sort of wondering what they guys down at sun were
thinking when they spec'ed these drives for the SS20.  They're the 1 gig
HAWKs, and replacing these two with a single IBM DeskStar (MUCH newer) cut
the ammount of heat building up and venting from the machine in half.  The
SS20 even has the little dinky drive fan, but there's no way that it could
cool these drives well enough for them to run reliably for a long time,
especially if one were to have more than just a couple of SM41s and a GX FB
in there.  Hmmm, maybe this should have been to the vent list...
	Greg