[SunRescue] Re: Sun3

james james at foonly.com
Wed Dec 1 18:07:59 CST 1999

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Lyndon Griffin wrote:

> on the subject, does anyone have access to an inexpensive framebuffer for the
> 470?  Also, my roommie picked up a Sun monitor that I don't know much about.

Hugo at Apcom had a few last time I checked, don't know if he still held
onto them.  They should be cheap.

> It looks just like my monochrome, except that it takes 13w3 rather than the
> 9-pin job (thus, we haven't hooked it up to anything).  His theory is that it
> *may* be color.  My idea is that it's one of the nicer monochromes that James is
> always talking about.  In either case, what framebuffers will drive it properly?

Look at the model number, shape of the case and connector.

If it has an attached 13W3 cable, it's either the nice Zenith grayscale
that I mentioned or a nice color monitor.  The grayscale monitors are much
shorter in depth than the color monitors, and the Zenith units have a
switch on the back to select 1152x900 or 1280x1024.

If it has a female 13W3 mounted on the back, it's either a Philips
grayscale monitor or an older Sony.  Usually the Philips units have a
metal connector in only one of the 3 "wells" on the 13W3 connector.  They
also have the contrast and brightness knobs right behind the bezel on the
right side.

The Philips units are the most common analog grayscale monitors, they can
do 1152x900 in 66Hz or 76Hz depending on model.  Nearly any Sun analog
framebuffer should work, though old double-slot GX cards won't drive the
newest grayscale monitors correctly.

-James