[geeks] Testing UPSs and Scrapheap Challenge 2019

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 06:17:40 CST 2019

Hello,

Both related to my earlier sorrow of our dead Poweredge T610....

I now have a new Powrredge R440 in my office, soon to be racked and setup
in due course as our new production server. As we paid a reasonable wad of
cash for it I'd prefer not blow its PDU system when I hook it up to our old
APC SmartUPS 1000 just in case it was the UPS croaking that broke the T610.
As such, does anyone have any ideas as to what might stand as a decent test
for the APC UPS to make sure it's not flakey or gonna fry our shiny new
server?

Also, for those that recall my anguish filled flailing with old server bits
last year that ended in me flipping several tables and breaking a brand new
motherboard, you'll be glad to know I'm at it again, but this time with
altogether more sane Socket 1366 stuff. I raided the T610 fir CPUs and RAM
and bought a Supermicro motherboard tgat suppirts 1 Xeon and up to 6 RAM
UDIMMS. It's modest but if it works and allows me to prove the hardware
from the T610 isn't toast, it's at least a step towards maybe finding a
dual socket motherboard for the CPUs and RAM to live in. Fun...

As ever all help is very gratefully received.

--
Mark