[geeks] thinkpad os help needed

Jordan Geoghegan jgeoghegan60 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 16:23:25 CST 2019

On 01/07/19 13:41, Sandwich Maker wrote:
> 1. longshot, and straying somewhat far from topic - following a round
> of os patches, my t500 running w7ultimate can no longer run explorer;
> one or more of its libs got 'upgraded'...  anyone have a w7u install
> dvd they could send my way?  this thing came without media.

Microsoft has Win7 install media available on their website, it just
requires your product key for verification. This link here should work:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows7

> 2. more on point, anyone know of any other os besides windows which
> support the thinkpad trackpointer?  it seems to be a pretty box-stock
> intel reference design otherwise, and i suspect a lot of os would run
> on it.  i'd *like* to run s9 or s10, but not without the tp.

OpenBSD should support the clit mouse. I know the OpenBSD devs dogfood
hard on their thinkpads, so I would be surprised if there wasn't support
for it.

> 2a. i'll also be looking for a unix/linux [whatever] replacement for
> itunes.  the only features i care about relate to its disc-ripping
> abilities:
> * 'joinig' tracks so they rip into a single file
> * rip to aiff
> * select params like bit and sample rates when ripping to mp3
> * ability to re-rip aiff files to mp3
> any suggestion?  i suppose i could just run itunes in wine.
iTunes is bad juju, if you're gonna run a media ripper solution on Wine,
at least use foobar2000.

I personally use the 'cdio' uitility in the OpenBSD base system to grab
the raw .wav tracks off the CD's, then I encode them as FLAC or vorbis
as needed.