[geeks] thinkpad os help needed

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Jan 7 15:41:30 CST 2019

1. longshot, and straying somewhat far from topic - following a round
of os patches, my t500 running w7ultimate can no longer run explorer;
one or more of its libs got 'upgraded'...  anyone have a w7u install
dvd they could send my way?  this thing came without media.

2. more on point, anyone know of any other os besides windows which
support the thinkpad trackpointer?  it seems to be a pretty box-stock
intel reference design otherwise, and i suspect a lot of os would run
on it.  i'd *like* to run s9 or s10, but not without the tp.

2a. i'll also be looking for a unix/linux [whatever] replacement for
itunes.  the only features i care about relate to its disc-ripping
abilities:
* 'joinig' tracks so they rip into a single file
* rip to aiff
* select params like bit and sample rates when ripping to mp3
* ability to re-rip aiff files to mp3
any suggestion?  i suppose i could just run itunes in wine.