[geeks] [rescue] Hardware Recommendations for upgrading sunhelp.org?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Oct 1 16:49:59 CDT 2018

On Mon, Oct 01, 2018 at 10:07:03PM +0100, Andrew Luke Nesbit wrote:
>I, likewise, am sorry to hear of your mother's passing.

Thanks.

>Intel Xeon E3-1200v1 or v2 CPU with an X9 series Supermicro motherboard
>is a great combination when you've got DDR3 RAM.  My "go to" X9 boards
>for E3 CPU's max out at 32 GB.

But do any of them work with non-registered/non-ecc RAM?  All of my DDR3
that I have sitting spare is regular desktop DDR3 RAM.

>> Case is a Fractal Design R5 so anything needs to fit into that.
>> https://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r5-black
>These are great cases, especially for the price.

I wouldn't have this one, except for a consulting client who needed something
done ASAP a couple of weeks ago and bought me the case as payment.  Power
supply is going to be one of the ones I picked up as a refurb sale unit from
EVGA about six months ago.

> There are X9 board
>options with micro-ATX form factor that can be had for very cheap.

Suggestions?

>You'd have 4c/8t (as well as the aforementioned 32 GB RAM).  In another
>message you mentioned using this server as a virt host as well.  I'm
>still learning the intricate relationships between cores and memory.
>(If anybody has particularly useful resources on the latter point,
>please let me know.)

"as many cores and as much RAM as possible" :D

>Finally, I can't help but ask.  Why are you not looking at a Sun stack
>as your preferred option?

Same reason I moved off of the T1000 when I moved everything out of colo
and to a business connection at home with static IPs - what Oracle wanted
for a support contract, just to get patches, was more than sunhelp.org has
brought in, in income, total, in the past twenty-one years that I've run
the site.  Plus, I refuse to give them business due to moral reasons.

(Had a long discussion about this when I moved to the current system back
in 09-10ish)

In honesty I can say that the site and everything related to it, never even
covered the costs of running it.  I was lucky if I made enough to take the
wife out to dinner once a month to make up for all the time I spent on it.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas USA