[geeks] Hardware Recommendations for upgrading sunhelp.org?

Nathan Raymond nraymond at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 13:53:56 CDT 2018

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 2:44 PM Jordan Geoghegan <jgeoghegan60 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> SMT/Hyperthreading is fundamentally flawed and has been disabled by both
> Redhat and the OpenBSD folks. It really doesn't do too much for
> performance (and in many cases actually hinders performance). It's said
> that SMT/hyperthreading opens up a whole new class of attacks.
> Regardless of which chip you select, you should disable SMT.

Agreed. I have SMT disabled on my AMD Threadripper for the above reasons.
Odd thing about Threadripper though (I don't think this applies to any
Intel chips) is that disabling SMT disables the ability to use S3 (Suspend
to RAM)... not that I care since I never use that feature, especially on a
desktop workstation. But still, odd that they are connected.

- Nate