[geeks] Hardware Recommendations for upgrading sunhelp.org?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 12:59:37 CDT 2018

First off, sorry about your mother's passing.

As you know, 32 gigs of DDR4 RAM is $300 retail, that only leaves $300 for
CPU/MB... And a  current-gen i7 CPU is $300 retail, leaving you $0 for an MB.
A quad-core i5 might be a better choice

For example, at microcenter, which is in Houston:

i5-7500 $199.05
http://www.microcenter.com/product/485323/Core_i5-7500_Kaby_Lake_34_GHz_LGA_1
151_Boxed_Processor

MB w/ 6 SATA ports $28.99 (after $30 disc when bought w/CPU)
http://www.microcenter.com/product/502815/B250M_PRO-VDH_LGA_1151_mATX_Intel_M
otherboard

2x 16 Gig DDR4 lots of 2x 8 Gig DDR4 $139.99/ea
http://www.microcenter.com/product/446298/Ballistix_Sport_LT_16GB_2_x_8GB_DDR
4-2400_PC4-19200_CL16_Dual_Channel_Desktop_Memory_Kit

For a total price of $550.95, incl. $41.99 in sales tax.

(You could step up that MB a bit and still stay under $600.)

Reusing existing DDR3 ram would be my suggestion, but that forces you into
older MB/CPUs.

I built up a couple nice VM servers for home use with AMD FX-8320E Black
Edition CPUs and cheap ASUS M5A78L-M Plus motherboards. They used DDR3 RAM
which I had 8x 8 gig sticks of, so each server has 32 Gig RAM and 8x 3.2 GHz
cores. After discounts and rebates at MicroCenter, I paid under $100 for
CPU/MB, but that was over 6 months ago.

The CPUs are about $70-90 online (new & used), MBs should be around $50. I
stuffed Broadcom NICs in each, and have been quite pleased with my budget box
servers. Using existing RAM you could fashion two servers for your $600
budget.

Aren't screamers, but suit my needs.

Good luck,

Lionel

> On Oct 1, 2018, at 12:09 PM, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
>
> Due to my mom's passing, I have some inheritance with which to rebuild and
upgrade sunhelp.org (which also hosts my personal mail, websites for a