[geeks] Hardware Recommendations for upgrading sunhelp.org?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Oct 1 12:54:25 CDT 2018

On Mon, Oct 01, 2018 at 01:26:28PM -0400, Mouse wrote:
>> I already have a case and PS.
>
>> Need recs on
>
>> 1: ryzen/motherboard/32g ram with as many SATA ports as possible
>> OR
>> 2: i7/motherboard that takes DDR3 (I already have a bunch of DDR3) with
>>    as many SATA ports as possible.
>
>> Budget: $600 or less.
>
>> Thoughts?
>
>No specific recommendations, positive or negative, but it does occur to
>me that you might want to describe the case in a little more detail.
>For example, if you have a 1U rackmount case, the set of mobos that
>will fit is rather different from the set that will fit a full-tower
>desktop case.

Case is a Fractal Design R5 desktop case with eight drive bays.

https://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r5-black

I'll have two SSDs in RAID-1 for the OS, then six 1TB SATA HDs (probably
in a RAID5 or a pair of RAID-1s with a hotspare) for data storage.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas USA