[geeks] Tyan Tempest Motherboard Headache

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 14:18:45 CST 2018

Hi,

Well today answered the question... with an 'ah crap' moment.

The answer is that the DIMM3 RAM socket (yes, one of the ones that had
the RAM in!!) is burned out at one end. I don't know if I did it running
it on the bench or the seller sold me a dud. Given the cheap price I
suspect the latter. I've been sat next to this the entire time it'd been
powered on, there's no WAY I'd have missed that happening, surely?

I'm gonna try to get my money back, but I'm not sure if he'll budge as
it's outside the stated 14 day 'warranty' period.

Here's a pic:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2kax1d2gm1bte0h/IMG_20180111_195509.jpg?dl=0

Kinda disappointing. Although it's kinda astonishing it works single CPU
in this state. I'm guessing it'd be a bad idea to keep running it if
it's that damaged?

*Sighs*

The good news is I worked out how to make the Dell fans work on standard
PWM fan circuits, they were wired up with the pins in the wrong order, 5
mins with a pointy spudger and rearranging the wires in the plugs later
and they work just fine on a standard motherboard header. Holy bejebus
that rear fan's a monster at full peg, too!

For comedy effect I'm gonna rig the Dell box with a Micro ATX board I
have kicking about tyhat has a PWM fan circuit for the time being so I
can test how quiet it is fully assembled.

Thanks for the help, as ever. You guys rarely let me down (that's
usually my part!!) :D

--

Mark