[geeks] Multi-Core on the cheap

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sat Feb 24 16:28:44 CST 2018

On 2/23/2018 7:53 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> I delayed responding until I was able to confirm I what I have. I have a Dell
> Precision t3500 and t5500, both fairly maxed out with riser cards as I
> recall.
>
> The T5500 is virtually, but not actually, silent. Mine is stuffed with 36 Gigs
> (?) 9x 4 Gig Dimms IIRC, and 4x SATA HDs. I use the video card that came with
> mine, and it runs Windows 10 great, including Hyper-V.
>
> It is my main desktop since I acquired it a couple years ago from
> dellrefurbished.com.
>
> Very pleased with them, I'd be certain to get one with lots of RAM and I'd
> locate a populated riser card before committing to the purchase.
>
> The T3500 is also nice, but not as expandable as I recall.
>
> I have never laid hands on a T7500.

The T7500 I used to have at $prior_job was definitely not virtually
silent.B  That one didn't have the riser card for the second CPU, and I
don't know why you would bother with a T7500 unless actually occupying
dual sockets.

To my recall, T7500s didn't offer any more CPU performance over T5500s,
but they did offer more RAM (192GB versus 72GB), more PCIe slots, more
PSU power, integrated SAS controller, and more internal storage (5
drivers versus 2 drives). Also, the chassis is much larger.B  One feature
in favor of the T5500 over the T7500 is that the chassis has a rackmount
option.