[geeks] Multi-Core on the cheap

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Fri Feb 23 14:23:56 CST 2018

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 08:06:12AM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
>I've been off work sick for a couple of days (dangerous, I know) and was
>combing the used market. Anyone have any experience with the Dell Precision
>5500 and 7500 series? I looked at a few 5500s with 6-core Crestmere (56xx)
>era CPUs, prices are decent and you get 12 threads to play with.

Those look to be fairly decent machines - 5600-series Westmere Xeons are
nice, as is the ability to take DDR3 RDIMMs. I assume you're looking for
a workstation rather than server? What kind of prices are you looking
at? Note - sometimes the similar tower servers (T610/T710) can be
cheaper and they're just as good as workstations, albeit possibly
/slightly/ louder.

>Any other HP or equivalent stuff to compare to?

An equivalent HP would be the Z600/Z800. There are also similar Lenovos,
like the D20 (56xx) and S30/C30 (E5-26xx/E5-26xx v2).

Cheers, MJ
--
Michael-John Turner * mj at mjturner.net * http://mjturner.net/