[geeks] Amazing! Tales from the Dell T30 trenches...

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Thu Feb 15 20:39:57 CST 2018

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> The T30 server system is based on an Intel C236 chipset, a special chipset
> that is classified as 'workstation' - neither desktop nor server.
>
> A brief review of a Tom's Hardware article about the chipset leads me to
> believe it has a shorter list of features than a true server chipset, making
> it more like a desktop chipset, but it undergoes additional stability tests
> and has a longer planned product life than a typical desktop chipset.
>
> Now that I've gotten familiar with mine, I'm going to order some more RAM - 8
> Gigs, taking the box to 16 Gig total is only $92 from provantage, which to me
> seems like a fair price - I'd like cheaper, but $11/Gig for DDR4 ECC seems
> fair.
>
> The only thing I'd like would be a blank panel to cover the slim ODD in my
> storage T30, to install 4x SATA drives I had to disconnect the ODD, so I now
> have a 'dead' (unpowered, unconnected) DVD drive on the box, I'd prefer to
> remove it and fill-in the hole, but Dell doesn't sell that little piece of
> plastic by itself... no big deal, but I'd prefer not to have dead hardware
> installed in the box.

Know someone with a 3d printer?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2680761

(Thingiverse is down for maint right now, it seems, but when they're
back, that should point to a 'Dell PowerEdge T30 Optical Drive Filler'
according to 'yeggi.com', a 3d printable model search engine.)

--
Michael Parson
Pflugerville, TX