[geeks] Amazing! Tales from the Dell T30 trenches...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 06:45:49 CST 2018

See notes in-line below

Lionel

> On Feb 12, 2018, at 2:18 AM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> As for lack of VGA, as you've found, it can be pulled from any of those
> three ports via an adaptor so I guess they figured people will buy an
> adaptor if they need it.

It was just surprising to sit there holding my KVM leads in one hand and
staring at the server back wondering where the VGA port went! A $10 adapter
solved that problem, and will wind up in my PC toolbox - these machines will
run headless once configured, accessed either through Remote Desktop or Intel
AMT 11.0 management interface.

> The PCI-e thing is a bummer, but I guess it's largely to stop it competing
> with Dell's midrange Precision workstation offerings.

The PCI-E thing isn't as bad as initially described - it has three PCI-E 3.0
ports, one a physical 16x slot, with all 16 channels implemented, one 8x slot
with only 4 channels implemented, and and one 4x slot with all 4 channels
implemented, but the power for each slot is limited to 25W.

There is also a regular old PCI slot.

> All-in-all it sounds like a tidy machine, though.

Quite happy with it - I forgot to mention the size - it's very similar in size
to an Ultra 10.

Lionel