[geeks] Cat 6a suggestions

Nicolai nicolai-geeks at chocolatine.org
Sat Feb 10 12:34:25 CST 2018

On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 12:16:39PM -0600, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Have you thought about sourcing fiber for a 200' run?

I briefly considered it, but then figured it would be more cost/effort
than it was worth.

> I had a series of 'home run' cables in my previous home, and one
> lightning strike in the back yard took out NICs all across house...

Yikes, what bad luck!  About 20 years ago I experienced all NICs on a
network getting blown out, one by one, due to an electrical issue.  So I
know it can happen.  Still, I think 6a is the right trade-off in this
situation.

Nicolai