[geeks] Xeon Phi

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Mon Apr 23 05:03:09 CDT 2018

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 11:08:55 +0200, Jonathan Groll <lists at groll.co.za> wrote:
> The host computer needs to be fairly beefy (so this diversion would
> not be super low budget, see mining article below) - both in terms of
> PSU and cooling, and it also requires "above 4G decoding". Not clear if
> the machine can be LGA2011v1 (although from what I've read out there
> LGA2011v3 is certainly supported). Custom cooling and shrouds are
> almost certainly required if you go the budget route.

Reading a further post by the luksminer guy,
https://lukminer.org/2018/04/22/building-a-low-cost-phi-7220-mining-rig/

It seems that he prefers Xeon v1 and v2 to the later versions, both in
terms of price and compatibility with the Phi cards.

He also recommends a specific supermicro server in that post which
seems to have both the necessary PSU capacity and GPU lanes.

Cheers,
Jonathan
--
jjg: Jonathan J. Groll : groll co za