[geeks] Documentation Viewer Recommendation

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Apr 14 20:07:58 CDT 2018

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018, Michael Parson wrote:

>> So now I carry a ThinkPad, grit my teeth, and deal with Windows for
>> whatever won't run on FreeBSD.
>
> I'm not a fan of the touchbar, definitely not defending it.  However,
> I've used enough systems over the years that didn't have a proper ESC
> key that I'm more likely to hit CTRL-[ to generate the ESC as I am to
> reach up and hit the ESC key itself.

There are always workarounds[0], but this is just the last point in a long
list.  Apple have said, loudly and in my ways, that hackers are not their
target audience.  After so many years of hearing that, I'm agreeing with
them.

> I also have always mapped CTRL to be left of the A key and don't even
> bother mapping the CAPS-LOCK back in.

Me, too.  OS X frequently forgets that I've made that choice, so I have to
open the "Keyboard" settings pane to remind it.

Windows may not have a UI to make that change, but at least setting it in
the Registry nails the preference into place.  xmodmap, of course, works
as well as it has for 30 years.

Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie are still right after all this time.

--
Jonathan Patschke
Austin, TX