[geeks] Documentation Viewer Recommendation

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Apr 11 15:53:15 CDT 2018

I'm in search of a PDF reader with a feature-set that, as far as I can
tell, does not exist.

The big feature I want is the ability to have multiple views into the same
PDF/XPS/PS file.  One of the reference documents I use at work is a
several hundreds of pages long with many hyperlinks between pieces of the
reference.  It'd be nice to be able to view different parts of the
documentation at the same time without having to duplicate the PDF.

Other nice-to-have features would be:

    * Annotations (highlighting, notes)
    * Some facility for saving a set of PDFs and their view-states so that
      I can re-open the whole workspace later.

I'm basically trying to replicate a real-world "library study hall"
workflow, where I could open a several related documents on a "table,"
and copy interesting pages out to refer to side-by-side with the original
books.  Plus, of course, the obvious digital enhancements of being able to
search OCRed documents, reversible highlight things, save bookmarks, and
wrap the whole table up for later.

Does such a thing exist?  As useful as it would seem to be for electronics
work, I'd be really surprised if it didn't.

--
Jonathan Patschke
Austin, TX