[geeks] Idea - 2.5" to 3.5" SCA adapter carrier

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 22:51:37 CDT 2018

Ha! Well... firstly I'm surprised few of you know 2.5" SCA SCSI Disks
exist! Yes, they were short-lived and frankly got replaced by SAS in
most applications very quickly but legacy drags on in some quarters and
U320 SCSI remained a thing for longer than it should have (hello, IBM).
I am *pretty* sure only Seagate made them and only IBM ever used them in
any numbers, apparently in their eServer X-series machines. BUT that
means that there are still plenty available used and the prices are
comparable with 3.5" drives due to them being less use to people looking
for used server parts. They are all 10k drives but are very quiet, which
is one reason I grabbed a load a few years ago. The only Nota Bene with
these is they do NOT work on older narrow SCSI buses. They must be
fitted on a suitable Ultra-Wide SCSI bus. The older stuff gets the more
sketchy it gets as to working, but I suspect late 3.5" SCAs are just the
same. I have had them work on a a AHA-3640 in a Windows PC and also on a
Sun Symbios PCI card in a SPARC, however. I haven't tested them as far
back as a SS20, however. Frankly, for older stuff SCSI to SD adapters
really trump these anyway...

So, I drew up and mashed together the first prototype and wadayaknow! It
works a charm. I've refined the design a bit and am going for a version
2.0 which will be nicer to fit and cleaner. I tested them in a Sun 611
(yep they have bottom AND side mounting holes!), IBM POWER Series SCA
drive carrier (the one with the edge connector at the back) and a HP
standard SCSI disk carrier (in my case used in my zx6000). I will dig
out a spud and make sure it fits my Sun 711 too, definitely test fitting
one in the SS20 as well as that things' CRYING out for a decent quiet
SCA disk (as long as it actually recognises them!).

Largely speaking, given a couple of engineering drawings (taken from the
manuals of a 2.5" and 3.5" model of drive) and a day with verniers and
some squinting (mostly to sanity check the manuals) it wasn't that hard
if you've got any grasp of CAD drawing in 3D (or in my case have a very
easy to use CAD program). The 3D printing part is my Dad's area of
expertise at the moment, I'm learning but right now I'm happy just
drawing up meshes for him to throw at a GCode compiler. There's some
warping at the ends but it thankfully didn't effect the fit, I'm told
that's likely shrinkage or poor bed adhesion (both 'one of those things'
you tackle in 3D printing).

In the (apparently!) rare and remote possibility anyone wants to print
some, I will up the STL files somewhere once I'm happy with them. Thes
don't work for SAS and SATA drives in slide-in trays because they won't
offset the drive correctly (SCA is centre aligned, I will NEVER KNOW why
SATA/SAS isn't, that was really rather stupid IMHO). They will of course
work for fitting 2.5" SSDs and suchlike into PC 3.5" bays which are
cable-attached but might be considered overkill, and adapters for those
are 2-a-penny.

Have some pictures. I know everyone loves pictures! This is the drive
and trails fitted to a HP 3.5" carrier (which I plopped in my zx6000 and
it saw the drive 100% fine). I also included a couple of screen shots of
the 3D file of version 2.0.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y87ksa66uv86h0u/AADyfMN9JpLAzF7s_5k8RgUsa?dl=0

Happy days. I did a thing!

--