[geeks] Printing, my brothers

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Mon May 22 12:38:31 CDT 2017

A lot of the wisdom for a long time has been that Brother printers Just
Work with Unix/Linux.  I just bought a Brother HL-L8250CDN to replace a
HP Color Laserjet 3600 that was given to us second-hand, because the HP
just wouldn't feed paper any more.  (I've tried everything I could think
of including replacing all applicable feed rollers.)

And indeed, everything pretty much Just Works.  ...Except duplexing.
Printer setup in CUPS lets me declare the duplexer to be installed,
printer properties in any print dialog from any Linux application shows
the duplexer as available and configured for long-edge binding, but ...
"two-sided" is unavailable as a print option.  From Windows, the printer
installs automatically, but is utterly determined to duplex print only
with short-edge binding even when explicitly told and configured to
default to long edge.

Has anyone gotten duplex to work on this printer via CUPS?

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net