[geeks] Poweredge 1800 hackery

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Fri May 12 14:57:38 CDT 2017

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 04:50:09PM +0100, Mark Benson wrote:
>I'm still in 2 minds as I can snag a Precision 490 or 690 for about the
>same as a Supermicro Motherboard and it will probably take the CPUs I have
>but possibly not the FBDIMMs.

As others have said, Dell have a habit of making some of their components
ever so slightly proprietary... You can often find this mentioned in the
service manuals - I came across something to that effect in, I think, the
R320 manual I was reading last week.

Not sure what your budget is, but you may find it more prudent to invest in
an 11th generation server (the x10 series). They're pretty cheap on eBay
and the R710, the model of choice for homelabbers, is quiet and can take
some pretty beefy CPUs and lots of RAM and disks. Of course, the trick is
to find one that's not too barebones - as you start adding parts, the cost
starts escalating. I've found this out the hard way :(

Cheers, MJ
--
Michael-John Turner * mj at mjturner.net * http://mjturner.net/