[geeks] music collection flac and mp3 by device

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Sep 29 22:07:03 CDT 2016

I have an interesting problem to solve.

I have 700 CDs, all converted to highest qualiry 360kbit MP3. They sound fine,
but I have been wanting to recode all of them to flac.

Thatbs laborious, but not terribly difficult.

The issue is of course that I end up with every song duplicated in iTunes, or
whatever other music player software I am running.

Why keep both formats? Simple: I want flac for the higher quality, and will
use it on my Sonos players and digital amplifier system.

However, because of the size of flac, I donbt see much reason to use it for
portable music players.

So, what I want is to somehow organize things so that the computer, digital
amp, and TV all use flac, but when the albums are synchronized with portable
devices, mp3s are used.