[geeks] Raw disk access under Solaris

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Tue Sep 13 13:19:54 CDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 09:59:38AM -0500, JP Hindin wrote:
> The disk is from a Cray J90, it is very, very definitely not partitioned in
> any way that Solaris is going to understand - that being said, it's just a
> string of bytes from one end of the drive to the other, partition maps are
> irrelevant to the data that's on the disk. Under Linux I'd just do a 'dd
> if=/dev/sdc ...' and all would be well.

Hmm, do Crays use non-512-byte sector drives? I've never encountered one
before so don't know, but a lot of "esoteric" systems use unusual sector
sizes (eg, AS/400s, various storage arrays, etc - 520 byte sectors are not
uncommon).

Perhaps try booting NetBSD/OpenBSD from CD on your U2 and see if they
identify the drive sector size (they should both say).

Cheers, MJ
--
Michael-John Turner * mj at mjturner.net * http://mjturner.net/