[geeks] Raw disk access under Solaris

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Tue Sep 6 08:27:20 CDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 3:22 PM, JP Hindin <jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com> wrote:
> Mornin' all, hopefully you (US'ns at least) had relaxing long weekends;

I only had a long weekend in Belgium because I'm sick :( Anyway, here
is what you may be running into.

Your disk is NOT a Sun disk. Therefore it likely does NOT have a Sun
(BSD) disk label. That means the c#t0d0s2 doesn't "exist" and that it
won't cover the whole disk. When you run the "format" command and
point at at this disk, does it say "Corrupt Disk or NO Sun disk label"
(or a similar error?) That's your issue. That said I'm not sure what
the right way is to image the whole disk in this instance. Do you get
any love from "prtvtoc" on the drive?