[geeks] FreeBSD/Ultra2 network adapter 'quitting'

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Tue Oct 25 11:11:59 CDT 2016

More ongoing saga with the not-Solaris-on-Ultra2 - if I start shovelling
data through the NIC after a while it gives up and falls off the network.
This feels like a bug in the FreeBSD network driver, but it sure seems
like something someone should've found by now if it were.

I have a small network between my Dell laptop running Linux and the Ultra2
running FreeBSD. I've tried it direct with a cross-over adapter and a
single ethernet cable strung between the laptop and the Sun. Currently I
have two completely different cables and a small 10/100 switch in between.

I can ping the Sun for hours on end without issue, but as soon as I start
20 minutes the Sun falls off the network. The link light remains on, so
it's not a physical link problem.

When this happens, the Sun can't actually ping itself reliably anymore -
every so often it'll get an 'hmeX timeout' when I ping its hmeX interface.

This happens using either the onboard HME or the sbus QFE ports.

I believe the ports are running in 100MB FDX. I'd like to try negotiating
it down to 10MB FDX to see if that helps, but I haven't figured out how to
on the Ultra2 (although I think if I do on the laptop that'll work just
the same).

At this point I'm just kind of... confused. I don't suppose anyone else
has struck anything like it?

Cheers, as always;

  - JP