[geeks] Mac Pro 1,1 CPU Upgrade - failure?

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 08:09:00 CST 2016

Hi,

Well... today's been a trying one. I got my Mac PRo 1,1 back last
weekend and decided, having got Linux 64-bit to run on it and being
pretty confident it'll at least run OS X 10.11 with some minor coaxing,
I decided to strip it down as, at the very least, it badly needed cleaning.

While I was at it I bought some Xeon X5355 CPUS (4 cores each at 2.66
GHz) to try and give it some extra legs. I got 4 because they were quite
cheap (that's probably not a good sign, I know) and used CPUs are
sometimes a gamble.

Well I spent the whole day putting the machine back together (having
removed large parts and cleaned them and let them air out overnight).
Reassembly was a pig but I got there in the end. I booted it up only to
find both CPUs overheat almost immediately. Read outs from the on-board
sensors show the CPUs are idling at 57Cish and rise rapidly on
application of any stress (leading to Mac OS X beach-balling because
it's presumably) but the Heatsink Temperatures (taken directly above the
plate that sits on the CPU) are in the low 30s and don't budge.

This says the thermal junction between the CPU heat spreader and the
heat-sink is bad. I took it apart, and found CPU-A heatsink wasn't
totally touching the plate, or at least had made an incomplete junction
(would explain a lot) but CPU-B looked fine. I redid both the CPU
heatsink junctions, using bit more arctic silver in case my skimping had
stopped it working. Reassembled it and... now it's even worse. The CPUs
are at 57C and the machine crashes within minute of booting.

The CPU-A heat-sink seems to sit down hard on the top and bottom edge of
the CPU plate and not in the middle. I did make sure I'd tightened them
both down as hard as I dared, but it might not have been enough? I
didn't use any kind of lever, just a small screwdriver and extension bar.

Has anyone ever done this job before, either on a Mac Pro or other
Socket 771 board? What thermal paste did you use and how much? How tight
are those bolts supposed to be?

Frustrated. Help appreciated.

--

Mark Benson