[geeks] [rescue] Cable testers

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Wed Apr 20 18:55:38 CDT 2016

On 04/20/16 17:13, Josh Snyder wrote:
> On 4/20/2016 1:50 PM, Lyle Bickley wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 13:19:41 -0400
>> Phil Stracchino <phils at caerllewys.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone have a preference for good but not overly expensive Ethernet
>>> cable testers?  I don't want to spend $500 on a high-end Fluke, but I
>>> don't want to spend $10 on some generic piece of crap that only tests
>>> continuity either.  I've never really needed one until now, but I'm
>>> finding cat6 to be a complete &@&#$@^#@%$R@#% to strip and terminate.
>> Here's the one I use. It not only checks out RJ-45 (CAT 6), but also
>> all classically needed cables (RS-232, etc.).
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/CableWholesales-Cable-Tester-Tests-IEEE-1394/dp/B000I993ZQ
>
> That sure looks to me to just be a continuity tester.  Granted, it's
> nice and has tons of cable types that are supported.  But if Phil is
> really looking something more than a continuity test I don't think that
> will do what he needs.

Yeah, I specifically want short and split-pair testing as well as simple
continuity.  I'm guessing one of these OUGHT to do everything I need:

http://smile.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-VDV526-052-Junior-Tester/dp/B004CI9NRM/

I'm hesitant to take the next price jump to a low-end Fluke...

http://smile.amazon.com/Fluke-Networks-MT-8200-49A-Network-Tester/dp/B0001FSCRM/

...because I don't know whether it realistically does anything that the
Klein doesn't, that I will need done often enough to justify the cost.
And I sure as hell don't need a TDR.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications