[geeks] [rescue] Cable testers

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Apr 20 17:59:25 CDT 2016

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Cat6.  The problem is the center spine both complicates stripping it
> with a tool designed for 5/5e, and even once cut gets in the way of
> lining up the pairs correctly for the connector.

I've found that, too.  Now I strip the cable with a sharp lineman's knife
and snip the spline with diagonal cutters so that it's flush with the
keystone.

This is the knife I use:
    http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/cable-splicers-knives/cable-splicers-knife

If you keep it sharp, you'll be able to feel how the blade responds so
that you'll cut enough of the sheath to twist it off without nicking the
signal lines.

>> If you're terminating more than a few station cables (as opposed to
>> riser cables), buy them from Monoprice.  Life's too short for that
>> nonsense.
>
> The thing is, I'm making cables on the fly as I need them at one-off
> custom lengths to different places in the house.

Are you using station cable or riser cable?  Most of the stranded cable
I've seen for station use doesn't have the spline, as the runs tend to be
so short.

--
Jonathan Patschke
Austin, TX