[geeks] Netbooting Sun-3/60

Walter Belgers walter+rescue at belgers.com
Sun Apr 10 12:42:53 CDT 2016

On 10 apr. 2016, at 04:03, Mouse <mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG> wrote:
>> Is it possible to netboot SunOS 3.x from something that isn't SunOS
>> 3.x?
>
> Possible?  Certainly.  It may be difficult, though, since I _think_ 3.x
> depended on nd for disk access, and I don't know how documented nd is.
> NetBSD has an ndbootd which serves nd in a limited way;

I tried netbooting SunOS 3.5 from a NetBSD box with nd in 2003. My notes from
back then: "It does load the kernel and mounts the root disk via NFS, but it
then wants to do network disk mounts. I have no server program that will
facilitate this (ndbootd only implements the boot stage). In the end, I
installed SunOS 4.0.3.

I do not know if there is a way to use a single-filesystem layout that would
work (as from my notes, the root disk gets mounted via NFS).