[geeks] SSD for MacBook Pro

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Thu Jun 25 09:34:21 CDT 2015

On 06/25/15 09:34, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
> On 25 June 2015 at 02:32, hike <mh1272 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Crucial
>> OWC--MacSales
>> ???
>
> Intel though not as cheap as other options
> Samsung, fast, cheap, recent article speaking of firmware horrors in production.

Yeah, for those who haven't seen it, there seems to be a firmware glitch
in TRIM support in some Samsung SSDs that causes TRIM to zero the wrong
blocks.  Needless to say this could be catastrophic.

I don't know whether there is a canonical list of affected Samsung SSD
models yet.  The article lists some models known to be affected, all of
them Samsung, but does not list any Samsung SSDs known *not* to have the
issue.  One assumes that Samsung will be putting out a fix for the problem.

https://blog.algolia.com/when-solid-state-drives-are-not-that-solid/
http://techreport.com/news/28473/some-samsung-ssds-may-suffer-from-a-buggy-trim-implementation

That said, aside from the current TRIM bug, Samsung's VNAND SSDs are the
best out there from the point of view of performance and service life.
It probably says something pretty significant that Samsung's VNAND SSDs
(the 850 EVO line) come with a *ten year* warranty.  Toshiba recently
announced their own VNAND architecture, too, similar to Samsung's, but
deeper.  I think it's pretty safe to say VNAND is the way of the future
for flash drives, until and unless some new technology like MRAM,
memristor RAM or spintronic memory hits the mainstream, and I think
we're most likely going to see a wave of VNAND architectures from all of
the major manufacturers over the next few years.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net