[geeks] USB and Windows 7 crashes...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 13:27:34 CDT 2014

You've walked us down the path that leads to blaming the printer, so I'll go
with printer.

Check HP site for updated firmware and driver, the firmware may be the issue.

Check MB vendor for MB BIOS updates.

I suspect USB devices negotiate with bios on connection, and that negotiation
probably also occurs on power up, and may be going sideways.

I'd be interested in what happens when you plug in the printer as needed, do
problems start?

And what about adding printer after system is up?

Windows version? The way MS handles drivers has changed since WinXP...

Lionel

> On Sep 27, 2014, at 10:18 AM, Shannon <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
>
> I have discovered a strange problem and thought to run it by you guys.
>
> For a long time, my mother's computer would lock up in a way that so far
has
> defied debugging. The machine hangs, and the screen becomes corrupted. The
> screen almost looks like an old school TV which has lost signal.
>
> Because Windows was totally hung and you couldn't see enough of the screen
> look at it for information, it remained a mystery.
>
> I can't babysit my mother's machine so I was almost at the point of telling
> her to buy another or let me build one.
>
> I decided to go and try one more time to debug the machine and she told me
> that it had been getting steadily worse. While there I also noticed that it
> hung on the BIOS screen for a long time. Just out of habit, I unplugged
every
> USB device that wasn't needed, and when I unplugged the printer (HP 2015)
the