[geeks] Things to do with VMEbus chassis

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Mon Sep 22 20:17:37 CDT 2014

Evening all,

I've recently come to have several VMEbus chassis in my garage (from a
storage controller...don't think they're 100% standard though).  Some of
the fingers are wider, looks to be for more pins labelled as "I/O Module".
There are 2 labelled CPU and 2 labelled I/O...it was a dual-68k-based
storage controller controlling 400 drives (likely across the 3 racks I
have if not more believe?) so it is a fairly safe bet it's VMEbus. The
columns labelled ISE are either for 3-fingered cards or 3 rows of
one-fingered cards.

Any ideas for what I can run in these/what to toss in them?  External PSU
needed...but I can't imagine that being TOO difficult to come by.

(Unrelated, but can APC SmartUPSes (old ones) designed for 220VAC
operation be modified to run on 110/120VAC?  Either trivially or
non-trivially.  More as a lesson in theory of operation)

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff