[geeks] Sun SSP monkeying - any SSP 'experts' about?

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Mon Sep 8 08:22:21 CDT 2014

To circle back on this one, although I haven't pulled out the one
complaining about incomplete initialisation, I have made the other work.

It turns out it takes 10-15 minutes for the SSP to complete negotiation
with the Control Board in the E10k. You fire the SSP up first, power on
the E10k, and then you walk away and have a cup of tea, and when you get
back the fans have spun down somewhat as the SSP has taken control and
told the E10k to chill out. After it makes 'contact' it will assign MAIN
status to the SSP.

I suspect the more domains you have (this machine setup has six
preconfigured) the longer it takes, and presumably if you have a second CB
intalled, it takes even longer than that.

The More You Know.

On the upside, I got my E10k to boot to OBP. I now have to get an OS
installed (the latest release I have a copy of is 4.1.4), and sort through
the system boards to find all the failed components and replace them.

 - JP