[geeks] [rescue] Guns - what are they good for? - was Re: TME and Apple II and other Drive emulator questions.

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Tue May 20 16:18:29 CDT 2014

On 05/20/14 16:38, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Where do I fall?  I'm a non-black, non-white, extremely Liberal,
> urban-dwelling, non-hunting, pacifist firearm owner who is favor of
> gun-control laws.
>
> It would appear that neither side of the people who are doing all the
> shouting speak for me.  I am armed and on the Left.

Me, I'm a minarchist, fiscally conservative in general, socially liberal
in general, but not really in either camp; possessed of a grave distrust
of governments, not fooled for one moment by the sock-puppet pretense
that the US has two distinct political parties, and "forever opposed  to
every form of tyranny over the mind of man" (to quote Thomas Jefferson).

I don't really care whether the White House or Congress are nominally
controlled by either the Democratic or the Republican party; I find both
almost equally reprehensible, both equally mendacious, both equally
anti-liberty and pro-oligarchy, both parts of the problem and not of the
solution, and both excellent object lessons in exactly why the US
Constitution was created with a Bill of Rights attached to it.  It is
precisely to guard against exactly such government as we have today that
the amendments making up the Bill of Rights were passed in the first place.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net