[geeks] Wiring question

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 12:14:16 CST 2014

> On Mar 7, 2014, at 11:23 AM, Mouse <mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG> wrote:
>
> Well, of course.  But I would assume the lump sum is at least vaguely
> reasonable or Lionel wouldn't've asked us at all.
>
> Personally?  I probably wouldn't bother unless the price were quite
> low, but that's mostly because my own network is only now beginning to
> use even gigabit.  More generally, I'd be inclined to say go for it.

Most of my hardware includes 'gigabit' NICs, and the assumption is that both
Cat5e and Cat6 will support gigabit traffic at supported run lengths (less
than 100 meters), so either way I'm OK for the forseeable future. I'm not sure
the potential benefits justify the added costs - every run will be a home run
to the laundry closet, every run will be under 100 meters, and the upgrade fee
is non-trivial.

If it were a hundred dollars it would be a no-brainier, likewise at a thousand
dollars it's a non-starter - problem is, as you move around between those two
numbers it is not so simple...

I appreciate everyone's input so far - I'm leaning towards doing it, if only
for 'geek cred' and the comfort of knowing I could roll out 10 Gig Ethernet if
I wanted to... ;^)

Will Cat6 provide a better Gig Ethernet connection over longish runs (20-30
meters)?