[geeks] Wiring question

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Fri Mar 7 10:23:13 CST 2014

[top-posting damage repaired manually]

>> As I've mentioned before, I'm moving to TX this summer, and the
>> builder is offering to upgrade all my in-wall wiring from Cat5e to
>> Cat6 for a lump-sum fee, should I make the jump?
> Depends on what the "lump-sum" is.

Well, of course.  But I would assume the lump sum is at least vaguely
reasonable or Lionel wouldn't've asked us at all.

Personally?  I probably wouldn't bother unless the price were quite
low, but that's mostly because my own network is only now beginning to
use even gigabit.  More generally, I'd be inclined to say go for it.

> In this day of wireless everything I don't see Cat6 being needed in
> the house.

Wireless everything?  I see it as insecure and unreliable everything.
Certainly for anything I'm counting on I wouldn't use wireless.  (Of
course, those who disagree with me on that may be fine with it.)

> On the other hand, if you're planning on selling the house in a
> couple of years it might be a selling point for some.  It won't add
> any value to the house though.

How could "a selling point for some" _not_ add value?

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org