[geeks] Are these servers that bad?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 13:08:15 CDT 2014

Lots of very useful software has no licensing issue, my point was that the
folks that likely bought these servers from Sun watched their  'value' (as
measured in dollars) drop through the floor for any application that relies on
software licensed per socket, hence the low asking price for this server on
eBay.

I bought a surplus 'dual hex' AMD server (12 cores) that has 72 Gigs of RAM &
12 drive bays (3.5") for around $500 last year. That server was worth a little
bit more than this Sun X4600 would be to me because it uses less power (a lot
less, around 300-400 watts, IIRC) and has room for lots of cheap, local SATA
storage. Twelve cores is plenty for my needs, but of course needs vary.

For geek points/bragging rights, who wouldn't want 32 cores? But at the end of
the month, when the power bill arrives, I might wish I had gotten the 12 core
server...

Lionel

> On Jun 19, 2014, at 11:36 AM, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
>
> Of course, Linux, freebsd, or omnios and postgres or firebird don't have the
licensing issue.