[geeks] Are these servers that bad?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Jun 19 10:36:07 CDT 2014

On June 19, 2014 9:14:57 AM EDT, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com> wrote:
>That's a lot of cores (32) for 'only' 64 Megs of RAM - and I suspect
>increasing the RAM any further (if even possible) gets insanely
>expensive
>rather quickly.

I think it would cost about 640 to replace the existing 2g ram sticks with 4g ram sticks.  That is a fairly high number, but 32 sticks of any modern ram isn't all that cheap either.  Trying to go  to 256 gigs is where it would start looking insane.

That said, I think there are a lot of workloads where 2g per core is plenty.

>Also, consider licensing costs - depending on software licenses an 8
>socket
>system command a premium license.

Of course, Linux, freebsd, or omnios and postgres or firebird don't have the licensing issue.