[geeks] Are these servers that bad?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 08:14:57 CDT 2014

That's a lot of cores (32) for 'only' 64 Megs of RAM - and I suspect
increasing the RAM any further (if even possible) gets insanely expensive
rather quickly.

Then there's the power issue and the noise issue - either of which will keep
it out of most uses.

As a box to spin up for fun, it's a great deal, but for any extended use a
more modern system could easily out-perform this box for less money once power
costs are added in.

It uses as much as 1.9KW, according to the documentation:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19121-01/sf.x4600/819-4342-18/html/z40007eb1005069
.html

Also, consider licensing costs - depending on software licenses an 8 socket
system command a premium license. For example, were you to want to run Windows
Server on such a box with all sockets running would require purchasing 4x
windows licenses (standard or datacenter), and I can't imagine the costs for
licensing something like Oracle Database...

(Licensing costs are, IMHO, the reason a box like this shows up on the market
at what I'll call 'scrap plus' prices.)

Lionel