[geeks] Are these servers that bad?

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Wed Jun 18 21:13:46 CDT 2014

Trying to figure something out...

I saw this on e-bay, and have seen similar deals over time..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171360350238

That seems like a LOT of horsepower for a low price. I was long-gone
from Sun by the time these came out, so I don't know about any quality
issues or horror stories, but why so cheap for 16 cores and 64G of
RAM? To me that should still command a premium even if it is older
hardware. Shows what little I know about current hardware these days,
anyway.

I still have a dream of getting a Thumper (X4500 or X4550) and loading
it with SSDs. You know, one of these, with 48 2.5" SATA slots?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291157702209

Those have gone up in price, surprisingly. The last time I saw one it
was like $500 or less.

--
-Jon
Jonathan Katz, Indianapolis, IN.