[geeks] Windows 8.1

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 20:02:53 CDT 2014

> On Jun 18, 2014, at 7:43 PM, "J. Alexander Jacocks" <jjacocks at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Maybe it's just me, but I don't really see the point of a touch-screen
> laptop.

It's just you. ;^)

Including a touchscreen on a laptop ADDs options for interacting with the
system, and with an OS designed for a touch interface it can be convenient.
Remember, the touchscreen feature doesn't take the place of a
trackpoint/touchpad.

> It's not better when folks add bluetooth keyboards to their
> tablets, either.

Those are people that want to do 'laptop things' on tablet devices - a tablet
and a Bluetooth keyboard weighs a lot less than most laptops.

> It's just not a very usable form-factor, in my opinion.

It's not a form-factor, it's a feature - one that doesn't get in your way if
you choose not to use it.

> It's just a feature looking for a need.

It can be handy for many media consumption activities (watch videos, flip
through social media, look at pictures) and with touch-enabled phones and
tablets, there are many users that assume a laptop would work the same way.

I'm sure a couple decades ago someone was arguing against using mice with
computers...