[geeks] Good, cheap GPS?

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Thu Feb 27 09:00:48 CST 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 08:22:41AM -0600, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> How is this older cellphone displaying all that info? An app?

I think it's part of Nokia Maps, but it's a separate icon.

> I hate to suggest this, but as a thought, what about a 'no contract' windows
> phone? Are there windows phone apps that would suffice? A Nokia 521 windows
> phone 8 is about $60 these days, and it can perform all it's tablet/smartphone
> functions (except place/receive calls, of course) w/o cell service...

I already have enough old cellphones and this one is actually pretty nice
and was a hacker's delight in its day. Disconnected it's still useful like
you said. But for the money I'll go with a dedicated GPS unit like Will
suggested. The price is right and it should work a lot better than a phone.

Anybody wanna buy a Siemans S45 or a hacked Nokia 5800 Xpress Music, lemme
know ;-)