[geeks] Good, cheap GPS?

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Thu Feb 27 07:50:17 CST 2014

On 02/27/14 06:28, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
> I find myself wanting a GPS receiver since I got interested in doing some
> astronomical calculations that depend on location.
>
> I have an old cellphone with a reasonable GPS display (shows how many
> satellites, bearings, signal strength) etc. and good display of GPS data but
> it takes forever to start displaying the data.
>
> Is there a good, cheap GPS receiver that locks and gives position info
> quickly? I don't need mapping or memories for saving a bunch of waypoints or
> any other advanced features that I don't even know exist, just something
> that locks quickly and gives accurate and precise location info.
>
> Any suggestions guys? Thanks.

Eric Raymond has been pointing people at the Navisys Macx-1, if you can
find it.  This is actually a bespoke device he talked Navisys into
building - it's a USB GR601W with the PPS output trace enabled.  The
purpose behind it was actually for his Cosmic Bufferbloat project to
measure and map buffer bloat across the Internet.

I have also heard good things about Garmin GPS sensore, but my
understanding is you'll probably wind up having to connect the Garmin to
USB yourself.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications