[geeks] Good, cheap GPS?

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Thu Feb 27 05:28:47 CST 2014

I find myself wanting a GPS receiver since I got interested in doing some
astronomical calculations that depend on location.

I have an old cellphone with a reasonable GPS display (shows how many
satellites, bearings, signal strength) etc. and good display of GPS data but
it takes forever to start displaying the data.

Is there a good, cheap GPS receiver that locks and gives position info
quickly? I don't need mapping or memories for saving a bunch of waypoints or
any other advanced features that I don't even know exist, just something
that locks quickly and gives accurate and precise location info.

Any suggestions guys? Thanks.