[geeks] audio issue with PC case

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Feb 21 21:35:41 CST 2014

I have a gaming rig, and I'm currently using on board sound.

For a long time I have used the machine with a KVM that my Apple shares.
The problem is that the KVM adds a good bit of noise to both audio
output and the microphone.

I decided to just plug my headset into the rear of the computer's case,
and there is no noise at all then. However, the audio hardware on the
motherboard does not recognize that there are headphones plugged in
instead of speakers.

That isn't fatal, it just means I can't get high volume on the headphones.

I decided to finally hook up the Realtek HD Audio header to the PC
case's front panel so I could use that.

That solves the loudness issue, but the case's audio cable picks up
noise from the graphics card.

If I move the cable against the case, as far away as possible, it
reduces the noise but I still hear it in any game. Music is fine, as the
software generally does not use the GPU. Its only if a program uses the
GPUs that I get noise.

The PC case's audio cable appears to be unshielded, so I imagine that is
the problem.

Is there any easy way to shield the existing cable?  Its routing is
something I prefer to not mess with too much.

Alternately, have any of you ever found a source of common PC case audio
cables that are properly shielded?

Other solutions will be entertained.

For now I'm just using the rear audio ports, but it just isn't loud
enough in some situations.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-keys which had a name of 0x5936BC24.asc]