[geeks] Help needed with Sun V65x

Barry Keeney barryk at chaoscon.com
Mon Feb 17 23:55:10 CST 2014

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Argh.
>
> I've been forced to the realization that the Xeon CPUs are nothing like I
> imagined they were.
>
> Solaris 11 failed complaining that the CPU "doesn't support long words".
> Fine, my further investigation showed that the "V" series of servers were
> unsupported as of Solaris 11.
>
> Solaris 10 is only available from Oracle as a DVD ISO, but the V65x only
> has a CD drive. Try two different USB DVD drives, no go. Try swapping the
> slimline CD for a DVD drive, no go. The BIOS just skipped right over the
> drive, never tried to bot off the DVD.

   Well the V65x came with a cdrom drive, but you could get a DVD
drive from sun for it. I had a few at work I got the DVD upgrade
for and I didn't have any problems booting off it, but I didn't
run Solaris on it, just linux.

   They are, as others said, 32bit machines... I ran six of them for
years without any major failures, except maybe a disk drive or two...

Barry Keeney
Chaos Consulting
email barryk at chaoscon.com

"Atheist: A person who doesn't need imaginary friends"

"Rap is Square Dancing gone terribly, terribly Wrong...."

"MicroSoft Windows - Running our defences until they all bluescreen during the Cylon attack..."