[geeks] Old hardware cut-off

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Mon Feb 17 13:13:50 CST 2014

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> I have yet to look at my old Sun kit, is anyone interested in these bits? My
> head is spinning as I add up a decade plus of basement stuffing I did with
> this stuff - at my worst I picked up an entire van load of Sun HW, from
> SS5-U2, with a bunch of external HDs, CDs, and tape drives...

Very interested in a bunch of Sun gear.  I already have a bunch...but I
still need more. ;)

> I have, for instance, just bumped into a new Sun dual Xeon x86 rack server
> (from the Dell PowerEdge 2650-era) that I did little more than boot up when I
> got it...

That'd be a neat little thing to have, too.  Wonder how they compare with
the quality of their SPARC systems?

> I also have a couple quad core Sun systems (cycle quad and some other 'E450 in
> desktop box'system) that I just never got around to... (Not to mention an
> actual E450!)

Woooo. Quad-SPARC!  I only have one of those. ;)

> The distractions are mounting!
>
> For now I'm having some fun working on my 'cluster in a box' Dell 3 blade
> system... I've just about got it squared away with documenting the HW and
> configuring the OS...

That's a neat little machine.

> Lionel
>
>> On Feb 17, 2014, at 3:04 AM, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
>>
>> Lionel, I have to say from here you have a lot of good problems :-)
>>
>> Keep up the good work, buddy!
>>
>> P.S. If it wasn't for the gigantic 1G of RAM (half my current desktop btw)
>> would use it as a DOS development box or try to learn CP/M...

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff
http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects