[geeks] Old hardware cut-off

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Mon Feb 17 03:16:51 CST 2014

Sent from mobile device that advertises itself for no good reason

> On 17 Feb 2014, at 00:01, Andrew Jones <andrew at jones.ec> wrote:
>
>> On 02/16/2014 11:45 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>> On 02/16/14 22:30, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>>> If that doesn't work out, there is also the ubiquiti edge router
>>> lite.  It is a dual core MIPS CPU ( Cavium OcteonB CN5020 ) , which
>>> supposedly has some special acceleration, 512megs of ram, 2 gigs of
>>> flash
>>
>> The Mikrotik has a 600MHz processor vs. 500MHz for the
>> Ubiquiti, but doesn't as far as I can see specify number of cores or
>> 32/64 bit.
>
> Watching people fight about awful embedded chips just kills me.  In 2014, a
$20 Netra X1 is still a "fast enough" UNIX box with plenty of RAM.  It eats
20-40W.  If you are sweating electrical costs for less power than a light
bulb, power isn't the real problem.

The problem with my X1 is that it won't accept any of the RAM I put in the
damn thing! I tried over 10 sticks!

Have any working ones for an X1? It'd make a great name server.

> I won't go gently into that good night.  As long as I have a place to put
the noisy bastard, I'd rather have a real system than haggle over the details
of embedded boards.

Embedded stuff is just awful. ;)

I have a Cisco 3745 for an edge router. Nobody cares that much about a little
extra noise here.

> *to my shame, I am in fact using some garbage ARM thing for a home internet
gateway because I lost my place to put the noisy bastard.  If it weren't a
rental I would just run cat6 to the damned basement.