[geeks] Old hardware cut-off

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sun Feb 16 21:30:32 CST 2014

On February 16, 2014 5:57:56 PM EST, Phil Stracchino <phils at caerllewys.net> wrote:

>And then there's Mikrotik.  A friend pointed me at them.  1U rackmount
>device with five 10/100/1000 ports, five 10/100 ports, an a/b/g/n
>wireless interface, a 600MHz MIPS-BE processor, 64MB of RAM, and 8W
>power consumption, for $100....?
>
>Color me sold, I think.  I think the only thing it WON'T do that my old
>system did is run Squid as a web filter, and I *should* be able to
>divert that onto my application server and still make it function as a
>transparent proxy.

If that doesn't work out, there is also the ubiquiti edge router lite.  It is a dual core MIPS CPU ( Cavium OcteonB CN5020 ) , which supposedly has some special acceleration, 512megs of ram, 2 gigs of flash which is actually an upgradeable internal USB stick, and 3 give ports for about $100. For about $40more there is a 5 port version with 3 ports of PoE.

I would imagine that it would do what you want with squid if you gave it a large enough amount of USB storage.

I have one of these but frankly I haven't bothered going further than setting up basic routing, NAT, firewalling with it.  mrbill might have done more with his.