[geeks] Old hardware cut-off

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 16:24:38 CST 2014

In my basement I came across a Franken-PC that I once configured as a very
small openfiler box, no I'm not sure what to do with it.

The specs are low-Ed, but it's in great cosmetic shape - the choices appear to
be:

1) install Win XP and donate it w/ monitor, KB, mouse & printer to charity

2) as above, but with Linux

3) gut box and install newer components (MB, CPU)

4) scrap for $0.12/lb

It's a Dell Dimension 2350 with a 2.0 GHz Celeron, 1 Gig of RAM, and 80 Gig
IDE HD w/ CD-ROM drive. It has Intel 845GL graphics (integrated) and based on
brief testing runs fine for an old Celeron box...

It can take 4x PCI cards, if one wanted to ale a small router out of it...

Thoughts?

In a related topic, I think P4s (and earlier gen processors) have out-lived
their practical life outside of running simple software for little kids,
thoughts? Their compute power vs power costs are getting hard to justify...